On this episode of Build Your Network, Host Travis Chappell interviews Bhrett McCabe a clinical and sports psychologist, sports psychology consultant to the University of Alabama athletic department and former national champion collegiate athlete.
Here’s what Travis and Bhrett discuss in this episode:
- About Bhrett McCabe
- Life is competition and it’s about winning.
- Sports were the fabric of what they did growing up, he was coached by his dad.
- He got really good, really fast and then he got injured.
- He figured things out when he understood the psychology of the game.
- He got turned onto psychology late.
- Was there a time where you felt you wasted time playing baseball?
- No, he felt it gave him a foundation.
- He had to find a way to get into LSU for graduate school since his wife was going there.
- He made connections, proved himself and got in.
- How does winning work into the idea of psychology?
- Most of the time in academics, the answer isn’t always about winning.
- In business, it’s all about winning.
- Academics can exist alongside business.
- He was the zebra in a room full of horses in psychology.
- Growing up playing sports he learned that the process is the vehicle to winning.
- Athletes develop resilience, relentless attitude, and are resourceful.
- Great business competitors will win no matter where they’re at.
- Do you believe that what you know or who you know is more important, and why?
- Who you know and how you manage those relationships.
- People know if you’re disingenuous.
- It’s not about leveraging the relationship, it’s about knowing where you can make an impact.
The Random Round:
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone for an hour who would it be, and why?
- Ghandi or Mother Theresa
- How do you like to consume content?
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine?
- Wake up
- Drink Diet Coke
- Have breakfast by himself and process the day
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- Anything Guns ‘n’ Roses
- November Rain
- What is something that you are not very good at?
- What is one place where we can find you the most?
- The mind has so much to do with success and failure.
- People only change for one of two reasons: they have to or they want to.
- If everyone in the world was an entrepreneur, we wouldn’t have static Fortune 100 companies.
Buildyournetwork.co – Podcast website
BYN.media/fb – Facebook Group
The Mind Side – Bhrett’s website