Jon Gordon, author of The Power of a Positive Team, best-selling author, motivational coach, and motivational speaker talks with your host Travis Chappell about how he sold over a million copies of his first book, why adding value is the first rule of networking, and how he’s able to work with pro sports teams on a regular basis.
Here’s what Travis and Jon discuss in this episode:
- Jon tells us about his childhood in Long Island, New York and what he learned to Cornell.
- What were your goals like in high school?
- His dream or goal was to be in politics, he was a PoliSci major.
- He started bartending while he got his teaching degree and ended up owning his own bar.
- Jon talks about the transition to becoming a writer and speaker.
- Why Jon’s family moved around and finally settled down.
- His mission is to inspire and encourage as many people as he could at a time.
- Everything Jon did was out of value and adding value.
- When people come out with something, they don’t stick with it enough.
- Every time Jon gave a free talk a lot of paid talks came out of it.
- Jon gives takeaways from his book The Power of a Positive Team.
- A connected team becomes a committed team.
- Do you believe that who you know or what you know is more important, and why?
- Who you know comes first, followed by what you know.
- Don’t have an agenda, just love, serve, and care and that will drive you.
The Random Round:
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- A musician
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone for an hour who would it be, and why?
- Abraham Lincoln
- One of his heroes.
- How do you like to consume content?
- A little bit of all of it – podcasts or books.
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine?
- It changes because of being on the road.
- When he’s writing a book he writes first thing in the morning.
- Gratitude, prayer
- Write more
- Edit at the end of the day
- Jot down fresh ideas
- What is something that you are not very good at?
- Being handy
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- Eye of the Tiger or We Are the Champions
- What is one place where we can find you the most?
- @jongordon11 on social media
3 Key Points:
- Your energy and attitude are important.
- Be more driven by love than fear and be a person of value.
- First, go deep with your core message, then go wide to as many people as possible.
- “I knew I wanted to do something meaningful in leadership, but I never thought I’d be a writer as a career.” – Jon
- “I will never put my family’s future in someone else’s house again.” -Jon
- “I’m short on talent but long on grit.” – Jon
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Join the Build Your Network University Facebook group here byn.university.
- Pick up a copy of http://jongordon.com/books/positiveteam/The Power of a Positive Team