On this episode of Build Your Network, Host Travis Chappell interviews Mikael Dia, a digital marketing expert and Founder of Funnelytics, a software company that is assisting marketers and entrepreneurs convert online traffic in revenue.
Here’s what Travis and Mikael discuss in this episode:
About Mikael Dia
- Mikael Dia is from Montreal, and now based in Toronto, and his Dad worked in banking.
- He went to university for engineering, but hated it as a career.
- Around 2009, started a t-shirt business with friends and learned online marketing.
- He learned four parts of passion from a marketing owner.
■ Brainstorming with smarter more creative people.
■ Working on diverse projects.
■ Having a vision and seeing it through.
■ Leading a team.
○Things that Mikael wanted for his fulfillment.
- Learning something new everyday.
- Building something.
- Having meaningful conversations.
■ Freedom, doing what he wants when he wants.
○ Mikael started a Mandarin language school and after eight months, he and his partner were able to exit for multiple six-figures.
- Do you believe that what you know or who you know, is more important, and why?
○ Mikael says who you know and what you know depends where you are in your journey, and what you want to achieve.
- When you were getting deeper into marketing, what was the way that you furthered your knowledge?
○ Buying way too many crappy courses.
○ When you go down a direct path, the universe opens up ways to stay in that path.
○ Taking action.
○ Mikael once moved to the UK and did his MBA, and built his network of entrepreneurs.
- Why do you think people don’t take networking more seriously?
○ We live in our bubbles in society, often out of fear, which often makes networking stagnant.
○ We compare ourselves to others online and think we aren’t ready yet to put ourselves out there.
○ If we have belief in confidence in what we know we have something to bring to the table.
The Random Round:
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
○ NBA basketball.
- If you could sit on a park bench with someone, past or present, who would it be and why?
○ LeBron James.
- How do you like to consume content? Books? Audio Books? Blogs? Podcasts? Videos?
○ Physical books.
- What is one of those things that you would recommend to the audience?
○ “Rocket Fuel,” “How to Be a Great Boss,” and “Traction.”
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine?
○ It starts with his daughter and wife, having coffee, take a shower, and going to the office at 8:30-9am.
- What is your go-to pump up song?
○ Hip Hop music.
- What is something that you are just not very good at?
- What is one place online where we will find you the most?
○ Facebook and TheDiaProject.com.
- “You are never going to enjoy working, more than you’re going to enjoy not working.” – Travis Chappell.
- “For me to figure out how to convert $1 of marketing into $5 of revenue…that process, even if I know the right people, I have to implement it.” – Mikael Dia.
- “If you have a strong enough belief in what you know, then you do bring something to the table to the people that you meet.” – Mikael Dia.
BuildYourNetwork.co – Website for Build Your Network
Build Your Network – Facebook Group for Build Your Network
Mikael Dia – LinkedIn for Mikael Dia
Funnelytics.io – Website for Funnelytics.io