Jay Papasan, co-author of The One Thing, Brandon Turner from Bigger Pockets, and Kate Erickson from Entrepreneurs on Fire provide their top networking tips. You’ll learn how to build relationships the right way, invest in your relationships, and ignite your inner circle.
Here’s what Travis with Brandon , Jay , and Kate discuss in this episode:
- Networking Tips from Brandon Turner
- Being human and being a good person is most important to leverage connections.
- There’s nothing wrong with a small, niche audience – in fact, it may be better.
- Don’t think you always have to go talk to the influencers.
- The number one thing Jay dislikes is asking him how you can provide value.
- Networking Tips from Jay Papasan
- Be purposeful, be systematic.
- Jay talks about his weekly coffee challenge.
- People want the work to be done, but they don’t want to do the work.
- Who you know is first, but with limits.
- In the areas of your life that matter most, you need a mentor.
- Networking Tips from Kate Erickson
- Kate tells about a time when a connection led to a moment of success.
- The pivotal moment in Kate’s life that allowed her to step up and support her business.
- People fail to grow their inner circle because they’re a lot of talks and not a lot of action.
- Figure out where you want to be and find the people who are on the same path.
- Kate talks about how to add more value than you receive.
- The place Kate goes to cultivate specific relationships.
- The best networker that Kate knows and why she chose them.
- What Kate would do to rebuild her contacts if she lost them all.
3 Key Points:
- Starting a platform is a great way to gain influence and a voice.
- Don’t have an agenda when you meet people.
- You have to have accountability partners and people who will push you.
- “People love to invest in younger people.” -Brandon
- “You need to be purposeful about networking.” -Jay
- “I can’t tell you where to find accountability if you’re not willing to go out and ask for it.” – Kate