On this episode of Build Your Network, Host Travis Chappell interviews Pat Flynn, owner of several successful online businesses, blogger, keynote speaker, Wall Street Journal Best-Selling Author and host of the Smart Passive Income and Ask Pat podcasts.
Here’s what Travis and Pat discuss in this episode:
- About Pat Flynn
- His podcasts have earned a combined total of over 50 million downloads.
- He’s excited about working on a Kickstarter campaign for an anniversary addition of his book.
- Walk us through your journey.
- He wanted to be an architect.
- He graduated and then started working for a well-known architectural firm.
- He was excelling and getting promoted.
- He still got laid off from his job.
- He started listening to a podcast called Internet Business Mastery.
- He ended up building a website to share more information about the architectural exams.
- He launched an ebook that made over $7,000 the first month.
- He started to grow the business and now it’s just passive income.
- He then started his Smart Passive Income platform.
- How important was that first ebook for you?
- It was everything.
- He spent a lot of time worrying and trying to figure out what he was doing.
- He did go back and look for a job but didn’t get hired.
- He was offered a job from his former boss with lots of benefits and turned it down.
- How do you overcome imposter syndrome?
- It’s natural to feel it.
- It might not ever go away fully.
- It’s a check-in mechanism with yourself to know if what you’re doing is actually valuable.
- When did you start seeing your content get a lot of traction?
- When he started to ask his audience about what differentiated him and they said it was how his content is more personal.
- His whole brand shifted to be more personal.
- What is one of the worst opening lines someone’s given you and what are some ways to actually connect?
- Someone tried to retie his tie.
- He likes to here about when people used his content and got results.
- Use a simple handshake and have respect for the person he’s currently speaking with.
- How do you connect with people?
- If ever possible, make a connection through someone you know.
- Do you believe that what you know or who you know is more important, and why?
- It’s who you know.
- If you don’t have anyone to connect with your information is useless.
- When you know someone, you get more access to their experiences.
- How much value do you put to spending money on masterminds and coaching?
- It’s extremely important, he does pay for a coach and he has two mentors.
- Pat’s an introvert.
- You have to ask yourself “what’s the worst that can happen.”
The Random Round:
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- A professional esports player.
- If you could sit on a park bench with anyone for an hour who would it be, and why?
- Benjamin Franklin
- He did so much to change education in the U.S.
- How do you like to consume content?
- It varies, all of them. Depends on what phase he’s in.
- Give us a piece of content you’d recommend.
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine
- Drink a large glass of water with lemon
- Get the heart going
- Get some sun outside
- Meditation and journaling
- Make breakfast for kids
- Read a bit
- Take kids to school
- Get to work
- What is your go-to pump up song?
- Better Now
- What are you not very good at?
- What is something that makes you laugh?
- My kids
- What is one place where we can find you online?
- The people who don’t talk about business are the ones I want to help out the most.
- Every single big moment in my life has been a result of who I know.
- Every person you meet is a new opportunity that can change your life.
Buildyournetwork.com – Podcast website
BYN.media/fb – Facebook Group
Smartpassiveincome.com – Pat’s website
YouTube.com/patflynn – Pat’s YouTube channel
Sapiens book by Yuval Noah Harari
Muse App for meditation