On this episode of Build Your Network, Host Travis Chappell interviews Tom Ward. Tom is a contributor to Forbes, Entrepreneur, and Social Media Today. He’s the host of Under the Influencer and owner of he popular marketing blog, TomWard.com.
Here’s what Travis and Tom discuss in this episode:
- About Tom Ward:
- He’s an influencer marketing guy, but he’s not an influencer himself.
- He writes, talks, and goes on podcast about influencer marketing.
- He talks to influencers about their social media empires.
- Will have a YouTube channel show starting soon with longer-form influencers.
- Some influencers he’s interviewed:
- Demi Lovato
- Kate Hudson
- How did you get into influencer marketing?
- He’s only done influencer marketing since January 2017, his first influencer was Marissa Rachel.
- Before he got to influencer marketing, his journey started about three years ago.
- He still has a regular job that pays the bills on top of his online gig.
- About three years ago he wasn’t crazy about his 9-5 job, but he didn’t know what he wanted to do.
- He read Reinventing You by Dorie Clark, that started him on this journey.
- Writing is one of the ways you build evidence that you’re an expert in an area.
- He started writing on an anonymous blog.
- He wrote about whatever popped into his head until he found his niche in business/entertainment.
- Dorie Clark introduced him to the editor at Forbes.
- How crucial was personal development to finding what you wanted to do?
- He’s a pretty self-aware guy so it wasn’t that important.
- What was important was interviewing people in the field he was interested in.
- Where do you see your career going in 2018?
- Quitting the day job and doing his digital job full-time.
- What he’s good at is interviewing influencers.
- He provides value to the influencers, and there is a broad spectrum of what an influencer can be.
- He’s not interested in the gossip and controversy, he’s interested in business ONLY.
- How do you add value to the influencers you interview?
- Go to TomWard.com, he has a How to Connect with Influencers free guide.
- #1 Be realistic. He couldn’t have reached out to Demi Lovato first, it took a lot of steps to get there.
- What he could do is to get Demi Lovato press in the entrepreneurial space, Forbes.
- Networking is a long game, but you should always be selling.
- You don’t always know the payoff.
- He views sales and networking as the same exact thing.
- The way he approaches sales is forming long-term relationships.
- Most sales people try to make the most money out of a customer right now, because they’re in front of them.
- Tom takes the approach of taking less of a profit in the moment, do the person right, and ask for referrals.
- What people miss is that they aren’t specific as to what they want.
- How do you handle rejection?
- Since he’s been in sales for so long, he doesn’t even think about it.
- You’ve got to compartmentalize things, because you’re going to get rejected all the time.
- Don’t let it phase you and don’t take it personally.
- “No” is just a delayed “yes.”
- It’s a numbers game, you should talk to twenty people.
- He casts a wide net, you should have a dream 100 listed out.
- You could have 100 ideal clients for your business.
- Make sure you get social proof.
- When you get someone to finally say “yes” you need to promote it.
- Always get a picture.
- If you have a picture, you can tell whatever story you want.
The Random Round:
- What profession other than your own do you think it would be fun to attempt?
- PR Person. It seems like guaranteed money.
- If you could sit on a park bench for any hour with anyone past or present, who would it be?
- Howard Stern – he’s a hug fan, feels that he does the best interview on the planet. Brilliant business mind who owns his own brand.
- How do you like to learn best, books, blogs, podcasts or video?
- Books or Twitter
- One of your favorite books?
- Entrepreneurial You by Dorie Clark
- Give us a glimpse of your morning routine:
- Wake up around 6:30
- Has breakfast with wife and daughter
- Gets to work at his house
- What is your go-to pump up song:
- Anything Kanye West
- What are you not very good at?
- Being detail oriented, math
- Find him on his blog, TomWard.com – all his social links are here.
- “Networking is a long game, but you should always be selling.”
- “No” is just a delayed “yes.”
Buildyournetwork.com – Podcast website
BYN.media/fb – Facebook Group
Free Guide to Connecting with Influencers
Reinventing You by Dorie Clark
Entrepreneurial You by Dorie Clark