Travis Chappell chats with his Papa about being an entrepreneurial spirit in the Depression era, moving around the country, and his time in the military.
Here’s what Travis discuss in this episode:
- Papa talks about where he was born and what he did for the first few years of life.
- In small-town Alabama 80 years ago he and his brother had the run of the town and sold iron and copper to the junkyard.
- This was during the Great Depression.
- Papa’s parents bought a grocery store/clothing store combination.
- Because of the depression, nobody could get beef but his dad was able to trade whiskey for beef.
- WWII broke out when Papa was eleven and he was old enough to understand what was going on.
- The war ended the great depression and everyone began making money.
- Papa’s father’s alcohol problem didn’t make for much of a home life and the kids weren’t interested in school.
- Papa’s brother Allen enlisted at the age of 15, six months before the war ended.
- When he was sixteen he and his mom and brother left their dad and headed to California to be with her family.
- Papa quit school in the 11th grade and enlisted to help his mother with money.
- When he was in the army he did intelligence and was not supposed to talk about what they did.
- After the war, he came back to Long Beach to help his family and then moved back to Mobile.
- Papa tells some stories about his time as a cab driver.
- Papa moved on to become a firefighter.
3 Key Points:
- Even 80 years ago, providing value lead to success.
- WWII and the Korean War impacted families across the U.S. financially.
- It was nearly a necessity to hold multiple jobs and have an entrepreneurial spirit at this time.
- “When the war ended the Great Depression, everyone was making money.” -Papa
- “It was nearly impossible to get beef during the Depression, so my dad would trade whiskey for a side of beef.” -Papa
- Visit Travis’ website at Buildyournetwork.co
- Join the Build Your Network Facebook group BYN.media/fb
- Join the Build Your Network University Facebook group here byn.university.