Travis Chappell chats with his Papa about being an entrepreneurial spirit in the Depression era, moving around the country, and his time in the military.
Here’s what Travis and his Papa discuss in this episode:
- How Papa met his wife Patricia and they married in 1956.
- They had four kids in about a six-year period.
- They had eleven sacres up in Lake Hughes.
- They planned to plant Christmas trees on the land, but they ended up with 525 cherry trees.
- When the kids were old enough they all had to help at the orchard.
- The shifts at the fire department were 24 hours on and 24 hours off.
- Papa worked at the Universal Studios fire department for years before becoming the captain at the Lake Hughes department.
- He worked at Lake Hughes for eight years.
- A fungus got into the cherry orchard and started killing the trees every year.
- He was tired of maintaining the property and they sold it and moved into town.
- Moving away from the country really affected his wife Pat.
3 Key Points:
- You need to enjoy having your kids and let them know that you appreciate them.
- The kindness you show to others says a lot about your character.
- Moving from the country into the city had a severe effect on the family.
- “The years on Lake Hughes were the best years of our lives.” -Papa
- “We lived in an 800 square foot house with four kids.” -Papa
- “I didn’t realize what an effect moving from the country into the city would have on my wife.” -Papa